User Roles In WordPress
In this chapter, we will study here about the roles of users in WordPress. Because in a WordPress website each & every user has their own role. Roles could be like write an article, uploading any media file or giving an individual access to any user of WordPress website. And the roles can only be allotted by the Admin.
So, here are we discussed few pre-defined user roles which are available in WordPress −
- Administrator: The Administrator or you can say that an admin, who has all the rights to do anything on the WordPress website. Like – Access any role to any user, adding more users, even creating more admins and also removing them.
- Editor: The Editor has all access to create, publish, edit or delete all posts, pages, comments, categories, tags, and links.
- Author: The Author has only access to write posts, upload pictures, edit, and publish their own posts.
- Contributor: The Contributor has only right to write as well as edit their posts but not to publish them. They can create their own posts and pages but cannot upload images or files but can see the status of the site. If they want to publish any post, then they must be first notified personally to the administrator for review. When the post is approved, then they can publish their post. But the contributor cannot make any single change once they publish their post.
- Follower: The Follower are the one who follow your site by sign in to receive any updates. And followers can only read and comment on the posts.
- Viewer: Viewers can only view your posts and comment on the posts.
Adding Users In WordPress Website
You always know when new users register. Because whenever any user register on your site on WordPress site then you get an e-mail notification. So, you can edit any user role or Add new users into your WordPress site. We will study here how to Add users in WordPress site.
The steps to Add Users are as follows:
Step 1 − Click on Users > Add New.
Step 2 − You can fill the details of the user on the Add New User page. Fill all the required fields as shown in the following snapshot:
- Username (required): Enter the unique username, that you want to show on your website.
- E-mail (required): Enter the valid e-mail address in which the user receives notifications from the site.
- First Name: Enter the user’s first name.
- Last Name: Enter the user’s last name.
- Website: Enter the URL for the user’s website.
- Password (required): Enter the password.
- Repeat Password (required): Repeat the same password as you enter on above field for verification & confirmation.
- Send Password: Send password to the New User by e-mail checkbox. The user will receive an e-mail with the new password.
- Role – Choose the specific role from the options, i.e., Subscriber, Contributor, Author, Editor, or Administrator.
Step 3 – Now, click on Add New User button to add user into your users list.
Step 4 – For the confirmation, you can check the user’s list to see either users have been added or not. There will be a message displayed as New User Created.
Edit The User Roles In WordPress Website
We will study here how to Edit Users In this chapter. Let’s begin –
The simple steps to Edit Users are as follows:
Step 1 − Click on Users > All Users.
Step 2 − You will see here the list of users.
Step 3 − There will be two more tabs seen on the toolbar −
- Administrator: It is the list of administrators will be displayed.
- Subscriber: It is the list of subscribers will be displayed.
When we click on the Change role to box, then there will be a dropdown list which appears as shown in the snapshot:
- Subscriber: It is a person who can only manage his profile.
- Contributor: It is a person who can write and edit own posts, but cannot publish them.
- Author: It is a person who can publish and manage own posts.
- Editor: It is a person who can not only publish and manage posts, but also the other user’s posts.
- Administrator: It is a person who has access to all the administrative features within a single website.
Step 4 – If you want to change the role of the user then click on the check box of the user name. Now, click on change button as well as the role of the user will be changed accordingly.
Step 5 − Click on Edit option to edit the user name.
Step 6 – The page will be displayed of the Edit User. Where you can modify all of the fields according to your need and click on Update User to save the changes.
Delete The User Role In WordPress Website
If you want to remove any user from your site. So, in this chapter, we will learn how to delete users in WordPress.
The steps are as follows:
Step 1 − Click on Users > All Users.
Step 2 – There will be a list of Users appeared.
Step 3 − Choose the one that you want to delete. And click on Delete.
Step 4 − When you click on Delete you will see the page.
Step 5 − Select options as you need and then click on Confirm Delete option. After that your user will be deleted.
Step 6 – Here is an alternative method of deleting users.
Step 7 − Where you can choose the users to delete, check the boxes and click on Delete option from and click on Apply.
Step 8 − When you click on Apply, then the selected users will be deleted.
Personal Profile Of Users
We will study here how to create a Personal profile in WordPress.
The steps to Personal Profile are as follows:
Step 1 − Click on Users > Your Profile from the left navigation bar.
Step 2 − When you click on ‘Your profile’ the following screen will be opened.
The Personal options show on the screen −
- Visual editor: When you are working on any post/page to your site then you can enable this setting if you wish to create, format, or edit your post.
- Admin color scheme: You can change the color of your WordPress site by choosing any color.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: You can check this box as per your need.
- Toolbar: If you want to see the toolbar when you are using WordPress then check this box.
- Username: Enter your user name.
- First Name/Last Name: Enter your first name and last name.
- Nick name: Enter your nick names if you have any nick name.
- Display name publicly as: Check the box if you want to show your name publicly.
- E-mail: Enter your valid e-mail address.
- Website: Here you can type your web address.
- Biographical Info: Enter some details about you.
- New password: Enter a password of your choice and the password should be 7 characters.
- Repeat password: Re-enter the password for confirmation.
- Your photo: You can upload your image that will be your profile picture.
Step 3 − When you have updated all the changes, then click on Update Profile.